[gdal-dev] VSI CIFS driver

Craig de Stigter craig.destigter at koordinates.com
Thu Dec 12 17:36:42 PST 2019

Hey folks!

We have to access some customer data via their CIFS shares on a regular
basis.

To date we have been doing it via a setuid script which mounts and unmounts
the CIFS share locally, then treats the files as local. We're
containerising our workers, and using kernel mounts is no longer possible
(at least, not even slightly securely.)

This means we need a userspace CIFS implementation for a lot of our GDAL
code, and a VSI CIFS driver would seem to be the right thing to do.
Presumably it will be a fairly thin wrapper of libsmb.

1. Has anyone tried that? Any comments?

2. Would it be something GDAL might accept as a core contribution, or
should we expect to maintain it outside of core?

3. We noticed https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/1289 should allow VSI
plugins to be registered from Python, which means we could possibly
implement this in Python if we decided that was the best approach. Because
we're Python experts and not C++ experts, we're likely to choose this path
if the answer to (2) is "no". Are there any docs on how to actually do
this?

Thanks :)

--
Regards,