[gdal-dev] Different results when reading a GeoTIFF with GDAL 2.1.2 vs 3.x

Momtchil Momtchev momtchil at momtchev.com
Sun Dec 29 10:13:02 PST 2019

     Hello,

     Hopefully the attached file will pass through.

     I was stunned to discover a difference in the values of a GeoTIFF
file when read with GDAL 2.1.2 (official Debian stretch build) and GDAL
3.1.0 (official Docker image). It happens through the API and it happens
with gdallocationinfo.

     Most of the values are identical except a few. The 2.1.2 result is
the one I expected.

     I concede that the GeoTIFF is less than then ideal with the
projection being random as I don't use it, but this happens when reading
it as a raster image:

Docker 3.1.0:

root at d13c4572b671:# gdallocationinfo 2.tiff 9 0
Report:
   Location: (9P,0L)
   Band 1:
     Value: 24
   Band 2:
     Value: 255
root at d13c4572b671:# gdallocationinfo 2.tiff 10 0
Report:
   Location: (10P,0L)
   Band 1:
     Value: 31
   Band 2:
     Value: 163

GDAL 2.1.2 Debian build:

mmom at sokol$ gdallocationinfo 2.tiff 9 0
Report:
   Location: (9P,0L)
   Band 1:
     Value: 16
   Band 2:
     Value: 130
mmom at sokol:$ gdallocationinfo 2.tiff 10 0
Report:
   Location: (10P,0L)
   Band 1:
     Value: 14