[gdal-dev] FileGBD vs OpenFileGBD, a few of questions

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Mon Feb 11 05:33:00 PST 2019

Hi,
I'm looking at ESRI gdb file support and options I have. I'm doing some
tests using QGIS,
but eventually would want to use the Java API to read the files.

QGIS 3.4, as installed on my Linux distro, opens the files with the
OpenFileGDB driver. The QGIS 3.4 Windows
version of 3.4 does the same. A command line ogrinfo too, listing the
formats, I don't see FileGBD.
Am I right in assuming one has to pretty much build from sources in order
to try out the  FileGBD driver?

I've tried to open a relatively small file, 20MB, 200k lines, works and
displays fine, the
in memory spatial index (from the docs, "By default, it will also build on
the fly a in-memory spatial index during the first sequential read of a
layer")
seems to be effective.

I've then tried a larger one, 10GB, 40 million lines, and with this one it
does not seem like there is a spatial
index going at all, even zooming in I see the disk reading madly at
100-200MB/s for several seconds in order
to return a very small area (by small I mean it has 1000 lines tops, road
network of a village).
It's like there was no spatial index, but it could also be that the spatial
index is memory limited and too shallow to be effective.
Maybe I never really gave it an occasion to complete the first sequential
scan, but was wondering about others's experiences.

I assume things would be faster with the FileGDB, but was wondering about
this OpenFileGBD statement: "Robust against corrupted Geodatabase files."
So I'm assuming the FileGBD one is not robust reading corrupted Geodatabase
files. But what does that mean? Segfault/hard crash?
Also, has the FileGDB driver been tested in a heavily multithreaded
environment, does it work fine there?

Cheers
Andrea

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
(LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
“GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.*