[gdal-dev] RFC 73 (aka gdalsrsbarn) available for review

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jan 25 11:27:04 PST 2019

On vendredi 25 janvier 2019 11:59:55 CET Sean Gillies wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> What will the impact be on spatial referencing stored in new datasets? For
> example, will users with GDAL 2.5 run gdal_translate and write WKT2 into a
> GeoTIFF, thereby creating data that can't be opened using GDAL 2.4?

Hi Sean,

re-adding the list, as it is of general interest.

GeoTIFF doesn't use WKT internally ([1]), so this will have no impact, and
datasets should be interoperable between GDAL < or >= 2.5. More generally,
after exchanges with a few people, I've decided not to change the global
behaviour of the exportToWKT() method: it will still export WKT1 for now. So
the formats that currently rely on WKT to store their SRS (including GDAL and
OGR .vrt, .aux.xml side car) will be little impacted ([2]). In a few years
when GDAL >= 2.5 is more widespread, we might reconsider this choice.

I've reflected those changes in:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc73_proj6_wkt2_srsbarn?
action=diff&version=5&old_version=4

Command line utilities gdalinfo, ogrinfo and gdalsrsinfo will report WKT2 by
default however as a hint that things have changed. gdalinfo and ogrinfo will
gain a "-wkt_format wkt1" switch to fallback to current behaviour. gdalsrsinfo
has already a switch to select the WKT variant), as this should have less
impact.

Even

[1] Except as an extension of a few SRS that can't be encoded with GeoTIFF
keys. In that case, GDAL uses a ESRI specific trick that consists in exporting
the SRS as a ESRI WKT1 string. That behaviour will be unchanged.

[2] I write "little" and not "not" on purpose since the WKT1 export will not
be strictly identical to previous versions. In particular AXIS, compliant with
the ordering of the defining authority, will be output