[gdal-dev] RFC 73 (aka gdalsrsbarn) available for review

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 28 05:02:43 PST 2019

Darafei,

A Geographic 3D CRS is a CRS, that is based on a geodetic reference frame
(geodetic datum), and has a coordinate system with 3 axis: latitude, longitude
and ellipsoidal height. For example EPSG:4979 is the code for the Geographic
3D CRS corresponding to "WGS 84" (EPSG:4326 is the corresponding Geographic 2D
CRS).

This is what is described in OGC 08-015r2 "Abstract Specification Topic 2
Spatial referencing by coordinates"
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=39049
in "B.1.2.1 Principal subtypes of coordinate reference system" a) under the
older term of "geodetic CRS using 3D ellipsoidal coodinates".
The newer revision of this document (expected for public release in the next
weeks/months) will use the term "geographic 3D CRS".

Even