[gdal-dev] GDAL and Kakadu library - Problem with float images

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jul 15 04:56:01 PDT 2019

On lundi 15 juillet 2019 13:41:25 CEST Alberto Monescillo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use gdal with kakadu library to write JPEG2000 images.
> I need to write the output images as float images (GDT_Float32), but I am
> not able.
> I have tried different options, but the image is always generated as Byte
> type.

The JPEG2000 baseline standard only supports integer images... So your best
option is to apply a scale / offset to convert your floating point values to
integer ones.

The JP2LURA driver ( https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/jp2lura.html ) has an
experimental & non-standard feature to support Float32 values. See the
SPLIT_IEEE754=YES creation option. Could potentially be transposed to other
JPEG2000 capable drivers (provided they support 23 bit channels).

Even