[gdal-dev] Is there an easy way to clip an image to the realdata?

Stephen Woodbridge stephenwoodbridge37 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:06:25 PDT 2019

Hi,

I'm working with VIIRS L3U images of L2P (level 2 patches). The L3U data
is gridded to the +-180 x +-90 but the patch only fills a small
percentage of that. I'm compositing a the patch for a day using a vrt.

Performance is an issue because all the patches cover the whole globe
instead of the extents of the patch.

Is there a way to automatically clip an image to the extents of the
patch, where all the rest of the image it filled with nodata? IE. remove
all rows and columns from the exterior edges that are all nodata and
stop when you hit real data.

-Steve

---