[gdal-dev] gdal and proj

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Mar 8 12:29:08 PST 2019

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 3/8/19 4:30 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Looks like you don't use the --with-static-proj4 configure option which
>>> was renamed to --with-proj in 2.3.0.
>>
>> Are you saying that just building gdal without configuring options means
>> there is no proj support in gdal, and that you have to give an
>> affirmative --with-proj?  I didn't guess that, as usually configure
>> finds things that are wanted normally.
>
> I am not saying that. I just know that the Debian package has explicitly
> enabled the PROJ support in GDAL with those configure options since
> before I was involved, and the resulting libgdal.so has libproj.so.13 in
> its NEEDED section.

The draft pkgsrc entry for 2.3.3 produced a libgdal.so without proj
linked (when --with-proj was not given).

I then added
  CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-proj
and that caused libgdal.so*, and a bunch of gdalfoo and ogrfoo to have
proj in DT_NEEDED as I would have expected.   I saw -lproj on link
lines and that seemed entirely normal.

I find the notion and wording of dynamic/static with proj in gdal to be
unfamiliar.  Thanks to Andrew for explaining that dynamic might mean
using dlopen or something like that.

I egrep -R'd through the sources and can't find any dlopen use for
proj.

It seems like I should be filing bugs that

1) the configure output about dynamic/static is using language that is
likely to be misunderstood by most

2) configure's default behavior when proj is visible but no options are
given is to not apparently use it (and configure does not appear to test
for it)

but I don't quite feel that I understand the intent.   I'll do that in a
day or so unless someone would like to tell me I'm confused.