[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 1 10:09:22 PDT 2019

Sean,

> Did you give any more thought to calling this release 3.0 because of the
> breaking changes? Too late for that?

Yes, that would be a bit annoying to rename it now, at least in terms of
communication since GDAL 2.5 is already known to be the version with the SRS
revamp. Would have been more appropriate to raise this at the time RFC 73 was
discussed.

Re-reading our HOWTO-RELEASE, we should indeed probably have named it GDAL
3.0. But even if we add kept the few functions that have been removed, the
change of behaviour of a few ones is an interesting case of what is considered
part of the API or not...

Even