[gdal-dev] Should the next version (previously 2.5) be called GDAL 3.0 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 1 11:56:08 PDT 2019

Hi,

As a feedback from the previous motion, it appears that GDAL 3.0 would

probably better reflect the API & behaviour changes that have been done,
and

be in accordance with our HOWTO-RELEASE procedure and semantic versionning

rules.

I'm OK with that change.

If we decide for that, the plan would probably be:

- change in docs & other materials the references to 2.5 to 3.0

- create a release/3.0 branch from the HEAD of release/2.5

- abandon release/2.5 branch (that is: backports would be done in
release/3.0,

and for longer support in release/2.4 when appropriate)

- issue a 3.0.0RC1 from that

- call master 3.1dev

Thoughts ?

Even