[gdal-dev] Should the next version (previously 2.5) be called GDAL 3.0 ?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Wed May 1 22:00:15 PDT 2019

It's a year of major version bump in GIS. Proj 6 (2x3), PostGIS 3, possibly
pgRouting 3. Three is a popular GIS version number this year.

I'd +1. Only question is whether you have plans for even more major API
breaks this year, so that 3.0 sticks for a little while.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 4:56 AM Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>
wrote:

> +1 to calling it 3.0 and to your proposed plan.
>
> Thank you Even.
>
> Daniel
>

> On 2019-05-01 14:56, Even Rouault wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > As a feedback from the previous motion, it appears that GDAL 3.0 would
> >
> > probably better reflect the API & behaviour changes that have been done,
> > and
> >
> > be in accordance with our HOWTO-RELEASE procedure and semantic
> versionning
> >
> > rules.
> >

> > I'm OK with that change.
> >

> > If we decide for that, the plan would probably be:
> >
> > - change in docs & other materials the references to 2.5 to 3.0
> >
> > - create a release/3.0 branch from the HEAD of release/2.5
> >
> > - abandon release/2.5 branch (that is: backports would be done in
> > release/3.0,
> >
> > and for longer support in release/2.4 when appropriate)
> >
> > - issue a 3.0.0RC1 from that
> >
> > - call master 3.1dev
> >

> > Thoughts ?
> >

> > Even
> >

> > --
> > Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
> > http://www.spatialys.com

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> Mapgears Inc