[gdal-dev] Access control over MEM driver datasets

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Nov 1 11:24:50 PDT 2019

On vendredi 1 novembre 2019 17:23:36 CET Agram, Piyush S (US 334K) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>      I wanted to bring attention to an issue raised on the github page
> regarding ReadOnly access to datasets created using the MEM driver.
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1971
>
> Is this a known issue?

Now that it has been raised, yes :-)
The severity doesn't seem very high to me. The impact is only if attempting to
write to a MEM dataset that wasn't intended to be written (so a programming
misuse), or am I missing something ?

> Do you foresee any problems with taking out the
> hardcoded GA_Update mode access for MEM datasets?

No, I'd suggest you to submit a PR fixing that and see if that breaks
something in the continuous integration tests (if so, offending call sites
should be fixed).

Even