[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 14 06:54:41 PST 2019

Hi,

I am not so worried. The alternative for people possibly interested in
building experimental Python drivers is not to make a new thoroughly tested
C++ plugin into GDAL core. Rather they will make experimental processes by
some other means. I am just discussing with someone who has made Mapserver
to send a requst to php service that asks gdal_polygonize to do some
processing and sends the result back to Mapserver via WFS. The use case and
result is quite unique. The process made into a GDAL Python driver would
probably be more easy to share with the community for re-use than as it
stands now. If the plugins are not delivered by GDAL project, are they so
much different than python scripts that can be found from the web? We must
not forget the possibility that even good things may happen and someone
writes some day a good GDAL Python driver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Howard Butler-3 wrote