[gdal-dev] How to know which formats allow editing with ogrinfo?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Nov 15 08:25:38 PST 2019

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 3:58 AM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> On vendredi 15 novembre 2019 08:52:48 CET Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Shapefile can be edited with ogrinfo
> > ogrinfo -dialect SQLite -sql "update foo set bar='14'" foo.shp
> >
> > GML opens always as read-only with -sql option
> > ogrinfo -sql "select * from foo" foo.gml
> > Had to open data source read-only.
> > INFO: Open of `foo.gml'
> >       using driver `GML' successful.
> >
> > How can I know which formats support editing with -sql and which not? I
> > could not find any obvious metadata by checking the capabilities of a few
> > different drivers.
>
> There's indeed no driver-level metadata indicating support for updates (update
> through SQL is just a particular case). With a dataset opened, on a layer,
> with the API you can query for fine grain capabilities with
> TestCapability(OLCRandomWrite/OLCDeleteFeature/etc...)

Can this be partly inferred from driver pages with the presence (or
absence) of items?  For instance,
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/gml.html#driver-capabilities

The old driver pages
(https://web.archive.org/web/20190211030817/https://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html)
were tables that very effectively conveyed the capabilities (or
limitations) of the drivers and allowed for scanning for drivers that
had the capabilities that you wanted.  Would a similar table be
possible or desirable?

This got me thinking about the Sphinx migration a bit,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2019-May/050273.html.  It
looks great and the website is easy to use.  Thanks to everyone who
updated that!

There are a few things that might be missing.  The new page has
https://gdal.org/programs/raster_common_options.html#raster-common-options
and https://gdal.org/programs/vector_common_options.html#vector-common-options
I wonder if a list of uncommon options like this would be helpful,
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions?  Same with some
overview table of driver capabilities?  If it is just a matter of
recreating a new page copied from the old, I would be up trying to
contribute to that.  I lack the detailed knowledge of the drivers to
be able to create it from scratch.

I was also curious to see if the OSGeo technical writing project would
impact any of the documentation.

Best regards, Eli