[gdal-dev] Syntax for translation to ERMapper Raster with options

Richard Lane rjllane at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 12:23:58 PDT 2019

I am trying to convert some SRTM raster data from Arc/Info ASCII Grid
format to ERMapper ERS grid format and program gdal_translate is not doing
what I was hoping that it would do. I imagine that I have the wrong syntax.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The default output when I used the following command was a
Signed32BitInteger grid with no projection, datum or units information.

gdal_translate -of ERS cut_s30e090.asc cut_s30e090.ers

To specify output as Signed16BitInteger with Projection = GEODETIC, Datum =
GDA94, and Units = Degrees, I issued the following command

gdal_translate -of ERS -co “PROJ=GEODETIC” -co “DATUM=GDA94” -co
“UNITS=Degrees” -ot Int16 -projwin_srs EPSG:4283 cut_s30e120.asc
cut_s30e120.ers

What am I doing wrong? I am very new to GDAL, so my errors could be very,
very basic, but I came up with the above by reading the documentation as
carefully as I could.

Thank-you ... Richard