[gdal-dev] Documenting build requirements (e.g. ODBC)

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Oct 20 10:30:58 PDT 2019

> On lundi 30 septembre 2019 11:21:16 CEST Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bit lost where build requirements are supposed
>> to be documented now. They used to be described
>> on the Wiki, e.g. https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnUnix
>> or driver-specific ones https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW

(late response, sorry)

The wiki worked really well for that, and over the years we compiled
quite a list of build steps for drivers and platforms
(https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints).  I'd suggest we continue
to use the wiki method (meaning now we transition to the Github wiki),
so we don't have any funnels where someone needs to approve or
disapprove of a change to the official website or repository.

The argument sometimes used against a wiki is that it is not managed,
but this is exactly why the Buildhints wiki was allowed to thrive.

There of course will still be one hurdle, requiring to have a Github
account, but besides that the wiki should thrive there for years to come.

-jeff