[gdal-dev] Fwd: Gdal - multipolygon - geometry errors instead holes

Casper Børgesen caboe at sdfe.dk
Tue Oct 29 01:19:45 PDT 2019

Hi Pepa

I have tried loading and exporting the multipolygons as WKT using OGR/python and it looks like the holes are interpreted as polygons.

FME displays the data (correctly?) with holes and its validation engine doesn’t find any errors. BUT a year ago I sent a bug report to SAFE because FME did some automatic geometry repair when loading data => the various programs could be fixing issues automatic which means you won’t see them. Not to imply that ESRI does automatic geometry repair in the background, but which program can you definitely trust to correctly represent the contents of your data set?

I tend to trust GDAL/OGR (which means I also trust QGIS) because its open source and the developers are normally pretty good at reporting back how the software treats data.

My reply doesn’t fix your problem though, just a few thoughts from me.

Regards, Casper