[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr.py sqlite dialect unsupported?

Martin Lacayo mlacayoemery at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 09:13:32 PDT 2019

Hello,

I complied GDAL 3.0.1 from source with Python, SQLite, and SpatiLite
enabled. I am trying to dissolve polygons in a Shapefile with the
following command:

ogr2ogr output.shp input.shp -dialect sqlite -sql "SELECT
ST_Union(geometry) FROM input"

This works from the command line, but not as I would like from a
Python call to ogr2ogr.main, although other calls do work. I see from
the code that ogr2ogr.py does not support the dialect parameter, but
ogrinfo.py does.

Is there a way for me to do this from Python without a system call?

Should I report this a bug/feature request to the GitHub repository?

For my own enlightenment, does anyone understand why this command
works from the command line?

The full 32 line script I am working on is here:

https://github.com/mlacayoemery/esws/blob/master/tools/wy_preprocess.py

Thank you,
Martin