[gdal-dev] Documenting build requirements (e.g. ODBC)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Sep 30 05:07:44 PDT 2019

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:33, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> On lundi 30 septembre 2019 11:21:16 CEST Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> >
> > I'm a bit lost where build requirements are supposed
> > to be documented now. They used to be described
> > on the Wiki, e.g. https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnUnix
> > or driver-specific ones https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW
>
> Open question. We should probably have one or several pages on the website
> with build instructions. And for driver specific things, move them in the page
> of the driver

I think a simple yet clean convention could be that each driver that
has any build requirements receives extra section(s):

"Building" section with "Unix" and "Windows" subsections
where requirements are explained

as last sections of driver's page.
Comments?

> > For example, where unixODBC requirements should be advertised,
> > to avoid questions like https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1895
>
> The error is strange. cpl_odbc.cpp shouldn't even have been built if sql.h
> isn't there. There must be a flaw in configure.ac

AFAICT, current master behaves correctly on Linux w/o unixODBC.

Best regards.