[gdal-dev] Dealing with SRTM! v3 files

Carlos Dávila carlos at alternativaslibres.org
Sat Apr 18 08:01:43 PDT 2020

Hello all

I want to process SRTM1 data from Earthexplorer using mkgmap
<http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/>, an open source software to build Garmin
maps from OpenStreetMap data. Currently, earthexplorer serves SRTM1 data
as *.tiff files of 3601x3601x2=24,7 MB, but also as files of half that
size. I use gdal to convert *.tiff to *.hgt, as mkgmap is not able to
read *.tiff.

These smaller files seem to contain the same information and gdal is
able to convert them to *.hgt files without problems, in the same way
than standard size ones, but mkgmap fails to read the small hgt files.
Given gdal "understands" these small srtm files, could you give me some
clue on how it is done, so that developers of mkgmap can add this
capability?

Thanks in advance for any help

Carlos