[gdal-dev] Storing mask as part of the *.ovr file

Denis Rykov rykovd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:54:03 PDT 2020

Hello,

I'm using *.vrt file that is built atop of COG rasters with internal mask
(PER_DATASET) + external overview file *.vrt.ovr.
These files are stored on Azure Blob Storage and I get access to them using
/vsiaz scheme.
I've found out that when I read data from this VRT GDAL does few requests
to *.vrt.ovr to get data and lots of requests to TIFFs to extract a mask.

What are the ways to overcome this? I hope I can put mask into
sidecar *.vrt.msk file. Is that correct?
Is there a way to store a mask inside a *.vrt.ovr file?

Thanks.