[gdal-dev] Reconsidering release cycle length ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 16:38:19 PDT 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 03:21, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> One year between feature versions is quite a lot. Perhaps 6 months would be a good compromise between having enough time to mature a complex feature and faster delivery of it to people not directly consuming master. A consequence of this is that our usual policy of supporting the last released branch during the development cycle of the next release would also go to 6 month (to avoid supporting too many branches at the same time), or perhaps even 4 (see below example)

+1. One year is a very long time for funders to see a usable outcome
of their investment.

> I've also heard voices wishing to have more frequent bugfix releases. Every 2 months could be reasonable.

+1. (No blame on the GDAL project at all for this, I totally
understand that there's been no critical bug fixes in this time... but
the current release gap of ~ 3 months is a long time to wait for minor
bug fixes to be available for end users)

Nyall