[gdal-dev] Information needed: GDAL is supported with ASLR built binaries(PIE enabled, ELF is DYN) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.8

Kavitha K kmskavi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:13:33 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Please help us in the following.
We are using the gdal 2.3.2 version for our product.
we need to update the binaries with ASLR built'ones for security reasons.
which version of gdal is supported with PIE(ASLR) enabled binaries.

Please share with us the detailed steps to install it from the source.

build environment:
our OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.8

Thanks,
Kavitha

Detailed Steps which i tried today:
 we have downloaded the 3.1.0 from
https://gdal.org/download.html#development-source
 cd gdalDevKits
 export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
 tar -xvf gdal-3.1.0.tar.gz
 cd gdal-3.1.0
  ./configure
configure: Bash completions not requested
checking for PROJ >= 6 library... checking for proj_create_from_wkt in
-lproj... no
checking for internal_proj_create_from_wkt in -lproj... no
checking for internal_proj_create_from_wkt in -linternalproj... no
configure: error: PROJ 6 symbols not found

After i did the search in google, i found that we need to use --with-proj.
but no luck on it.
   ./configure --with-proj=/usr/local
  configure: Bash completions not requested
checking for PROJ >= 6 library... checking for proj_create_from_wkt in
-lproj... no
checking for internal_proj_create_from_wkt in -lproj... no
checking for internal_proj_create_from_wkt in -linternalproj... no
configure: error: PROJ 6 symbols not found

My linux OS is
 cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server"
VERSION="7.8 (Maipo)"
ID="rhel"
ID_LIKE="fedora"
VARIANT="Server"
VARIANT_ID="server"
VERSION_ID="7.8"
PRETTY_NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.8 (Maipo)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.8:GA:server"
HOME_URL="https://www.redhat.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.8
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.8"