[gdal-dev] MBTiles generation docs question

Evert Etienne (SITEMARK) evert.etienne at sitemark.com
Thu Dec 3 06:13:20 PST 2020

Dear,

I have a question about the following extract of the MBTiles driver docs (https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/mbtiles.html#raster-creation-issues)

> When using the CreateCopy() API (such as with gdal_translate), automatic reprojection of the input dataset to EPSG:3857 (WebMercator) will be done, with selection of the appropriate zoom level.

As far as I understand it, the input file (tif in my case) will be warped to 3857 before MBTiles generation. But I am unsure what the appropriate zoom level means in this case, could someone elaborate or point me in a next direction to investigate?

I was looking at these docs for the explanation of the following error I got, pointers much appreciated as well.

`gdal_translate output.tif output.mbtiles -of MBTILES
Input file size is 88543, 68686
ERROR 1: Could not find an approproate zoom level`

Many thanks