[gdal-dev] How to wrap a C++ library using GDAL in a Python library?

Alex HighViz alexhighviz at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 04:37:08 PST 2020

Hello,

Could somebody please put me on the right track with the following problem?

I have a C++ library that makes use of GDAL for processing raster maps and I would like to wrap some of its features into a Python library to make it accessible to a wider community.

I would like my library to present functions that take rasters as input and produce rasters as outputs.  I can modify the C++ side to have the functions work on GDALRasterBands, GDALDatasets, or just on filenames. From my perspective I'd prefer to write any wrapping / boiler plate in C++ and have the Python parts as small as possible.

I know this question has been asked before here, but I don't recall the answer and could not find it again. A simple example of "best practice" would be ideal.

With many thanks, Alex