[gdal-dev] NetCDF and EASE-2

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 13:51:57 PST 2020

Regarding this EASE-2 grid (https://nsidc.org/ease/ease-grid-projection-gt),
I found that

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 1:22 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> - the spacing of the lat variable is not constant

the spacing of the lat variable increases drastically towards the poles.

You could convert the netcdf file to xyz text format, then treat it as
vector points and interpolate a grid surface from these points with
appropriate parameters. This should preserve the original values at the
original xy locations and should take care of the increasing spacing of the
lat variable towards the poles. Regarding your use case of snow depth, a
land mask could speed up the interpolation step, skipping oceans.

> I've a somewhat complicated workflow to propose to create a georeferenced
> GeoTIFF file. It assumes you are running GDAL master 3.1.0dev to be able
> use the gdalmdimtranslate utility
>
> 1) Create a tiled geotiff
>
> gdal_translate NETCDF:"SD_20160901.nc":snd_upd out.tif -co TILED=YES
>
> 2) Transpose it, and also mirror the values in the x and y directions.
I'm not