[gdal-dev] WGS84 -> WGS84 transform flips axes

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Feb 6 05:00:13 PST 2020

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 13:29, Daniel Evans <Daniel.Evans at jbarisk.com> wrote:

> I'm still so backwards that I rely on the Git repository and the Python API documentation for information (https://gdal.org/python/)
>  but I've discovered that the latter is rather out of date today, as options like GetAxisMappingOrder aren't listed at all.

Any API reference, even an up to date one, is intrinsically a specific
and narrow view at a library
features and as such it is not a reliable source of information about
architecture, behaviour,
caveates and corner cases of a complex system like GDAL.

It's not uncommon Python-oriented developers skip the *core* docs thinking
"that is for the C/C++ camp folks" and relying on the Python API reference.
It's a mistake.