[gdal-dev] [Python bindings] BuildOverviews() not supported for VRT dataset

umbertofilippo umbertofilippo at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 7 02:30:12 PST 2020

Hello everybody,

I am trying to build overviews in a VRT dataset with python GDAL.

I try this code:

out_vrt = os.path.join(out_dir, 'mosaic.vrt')
ds = gdal.BuildVRT(out_vrt, [raster1.tif, raster2.tif])
factors = [128, 256, 512]
gdal.SetConfigOption('COMPRESS_OVERVIEW', 'DEFLATE')
ds.BuildOverviews("AVERAGE", factors)

, but I get this error:

ERROR 6:
/home/umberto/Documents/jrc/FB_Data4Good/mosaic/test/vrt/mosaic.vrt:
BuildOverviews() not supported for this dataset.

The VRT mosaic is created, but the overviews are not.

As far as I know, gdaladdo should work with VRTs, but I am not sure if
gdal.BuildVRT() is actually using it.

Any idea?