[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr ignoring tracks, only converting paths

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 8 06:44:55 PST 2020

On samedi 8 février 2020 12:27:11 CET Manuel H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was attempting to simplify my Google Earth KML file and found ogr2ogr
> mentioned on the internet.
> When I run it through the program, ogr2ogr seems to ignore everything that
> is a "Track" according to Google Earth. Only entries that are a "Path" are
> converted. They are all GPS logs I collected over many years with different
> devices. Most modern tracks have been collected with smartphones and they
> are all ignored.
>
> Is there an easy way to prevent or circumvent this?

Depends on which driver you use.
The older KML driver (https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/kml.html)  has no
support for tracks
The newer LIBKML one (https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/libkml.html), based on
libkml, has some support for tracks.

Check the first line of "ogrinfo foo.kml"

INFO: Open of `foo.kml'
      using driver `LIBKML' successful.