[gdal-dev] How far can we resolve complex GeoJSON?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 13 15:43:49 PST 2020

On jeudi 13 février 2020 21:06:57 CET Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have a look at data returned by request
> https://beta-paikkatieto.maanmittauslaitos.fi/geographic-names/wfs3/v1/coll
> ections/placenames/items?municipality=837&limit=100 There exists couple of
> features with "parallelName" and GDAL converts that part into a string type
> attribute

-oo FLATTEN_NESTED_ATTRIBUTES=YES can improve things for a property that is a
JSon object/dictionary, but not here because parallelName content is an array.

>   parallelName (String) = [ { "placeNameId": 40581553, "placeNameVersionId":
> 2, "spelling": "Pirkkahalli", "language": "fin", "languageOfficiality": 1,
> "languageDominance": 1, "placeNameSource": 1, "placeNameStatus": 5,
> "placeNameCreationTime": "2008-12-05T22:00:00Z",
> "placeNameModificationTime": "2017-02-15T10:41:10Z",
> "placeNameDeletionTime": null } ]
>
> Can we do anything else with GDAL and GeoJSON driver? I suppose it does not
> same kind of advanced features like GMLAS driver has.

Indeed. The GeoJSON driver cannot create auxiliary layers for nested objects.
Thinking that a fun exercise would be to write a script that would convert the
GeoJSON content into XML (there are already utilities to do that) and generate
a XML schema. And then feed that into GMLAS. Sounds fun, doesn't it ;-) ?

Even