[gdal-dev] Faster gdalinfo from COG

Vincent Sarago vincent.sarago at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:27:56 PST 2020

Hi Jukka,
The time you are seeing is related to your configuration and not specifically to the file itself.

If you set `GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR` in your env, you’ll see that gdalinfo will be much faster.

```
$ time GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR gdalinfo /vsicurl/http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif
GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR gdalinfo   0.05s user 0.04s system 6% cpu 1.341 total
```

```
$ time GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR gdalinfo /vsicurl/http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif <http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif>
gdalinfo /vsicurl/http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif  0.12s user 0.23s system 2% cpu 11.719 total