[gdal-dev] Faster gdalinfo from COG

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Jan 8 09:55:35 PST 2020

Hi,

The real issue appears to be in my usage of direct http url instead of using vsicurl in between.

This takes a few seconds for me on Windows with GDAL 3.1.0dev
gdalinfo /vsicurl/http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif
but this takes more than five minutes
gdalinfo http://latuviitta.kapsi.fi/data/jarvi_dem/saimaa_dem.tif

I believe that I used http url directly after reading some QGIS tutorial that suggested that /vsicurl/ is no more needed.

You are right about how I created the file. I used the GDAL 3.1.0dev COG driver and tried to enhance it by computing the statistics with gdal_edit.

-Jukka-