[gdal-dev] "gdaladdo: tif_dirwrite.c:2449: TIFFWriteDirectoryTagData: Assertion `datalength<0x80000000UL' failed."

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Jan 23 05:27:56 PST 2020

Hi,

Do I estimate right that you have about 125 terabytes image data as
uncompressed , and the first level overview would make about 32 terabytes?
As JPEG compressed it would still make about 3 terabyte .ovr file. That is
not too much for BigTIFF that has a size limit at 18000 petabytes, but it
may still be unpractical.

I would rather split the source data into a bit smaller VRT mosaics with
size around 100x100 km and start creating overviews for those. Or create a
few first levels of overviews for the source tiffs and then materialize
100x100 km areas into geotiffs havin pixel size of 16 meters with
gdal_translate. Or something else, but 3 TB overview file would not be my
first goal. Of course it can be the best alternative for your exact use
case.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

mapmonster wrote