[gdal-dev] Speeding up gdalwarp process

Grigory Pomadchin gr.pomadchin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:43:53 PST 2020

Hey Simon,

We had a successful enough experience with working with GDAL & Spark.

Initially there was a try to use GDAL JNI bindings for these purposes, but
it turned out that GDAL, and especially WARP (using its VRT driver), is not
completely thread safe.

You can have a look into an alternative version of JNI bindings (very
limited and covering warp only)
https://github.com/geotrellis/gdal-warp-bindings

However, even though bindings are thread safe, it was achieved by dataset
locks. Usage of GDAL in a highly multithreaded environment can still be
challenging in terms of a desired performance.

To resolve your need in Spark you can in general try GeoTrellis (and there
is a GDAL support to perform all warp steps).

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:04 PM Marius Jigmond <mariusjigmond at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> We've been using Geotrellis (https://geotrellis.io/) for Spark jobs.
>
> -marius