[gdal-dev] JPEG file with ESRI world file .jpgw but geotransform not established

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Jan 26 14:17:22 PST 2020

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 11:04 PM Andrew C Aitchison
<andrew at aitchison.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Likely I am overlooking something but I don't see why this fails:
> >
> > I try to properly read some of these
> >
> > Cartes topographiques 1:50000 du Nord de la Tunisie de 1943
> > https://www.sigterritoires.fr/index.php/cartes-topographiques-150000-du-nord-de-la-tunisie-de-1943/
>
> That page includes a message:
>      Attention! L'extension du fichier world est .jgwx: si vous utilisez
>      un autre logiciel qu'ArcGis, changez l'extension en .jgw
>
> Does that help ?

Magic! I must have overlooked the hint, sorry.

Indeed, the manual page states:
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/jpeg.html
"... ESRI world file exists with the .jgw, .jpgw/.jpegw or .wld suffixes..."

which is clearly not .jgwx.
Wish: Unless there is no obstacle, perhaps .jgwx could be allowed as
well (not sure what the "x" stands for here)?

Thanks for your quick response,

Markus