[gdal-dev] Tiff file with CMYK colors that appears much worse with GDAL than in Windows Photo Viewer

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Jan 29 06:00:11 PST 2020

Thanks for the advice about ImageMagick, Lars.

I found it hard to learn to use ImageMagick, though. But a co-worker suggested Krita which was easier to use, and it could convert my CMYK file to RGB in a nice way.

I now believe my CMYK file lacks a CMYK color profile, so I suppose GDAL and other software cannot be blamed for bad results when they have to guess a CMYK profile for rendering on a screen. Maybe Windows Photo Viewer was just lucky that its default CMYK profile happens to work well with this particular image. At least I have learned that color management is even more horribly complex than I thought, and that CMYK profiles are very printer-specific so that CMYK should be avoided for general image storage.

Some of the gory details (if anyone else has a similar problem and is curious): the ImageMagick viewer, IMDisplay, also shows the file in the bad colors (too bright and saturated and cyan-ish).
The command
        magick identify -verbose filename.tif
said (among a lot of other things):

    Colorspace: CMYK
    Type: ColorSeparation
    Rendering intent: Perceptual
    Gamma: 0.454545
    Chromaticity:
        red primary: (0.64,0.33)
        green primary: (0.3,0.6)
        blue primary: (0.15,0.06)
        white point: (0.3127,0.329)
    Matte color: grey74
    Background color: white
    Border color: srgb(223,223,223)
    Transparent color: none

I don't understand what the Chromaticity numbers mean: if they define the CMYK profile in some way, it is strange that IMDisplay showed the colors badly. (And the Chromaticity values do not appear in the output from gdalinfo.)

Krita displayed the image in a nice way at the first attempt. Krita's Image -> Properties dialog said

    Model: CMYK/Alpha
    Depth: 8-bit integer/channel
    Profile: Chemical proof (Default)

So I suppose both Krita and Windows Photo Viewer uses "Chemical proof" as the default CMYK profile, and it just happens to work well for this file. There is a dropdown list of CMYK profiles in Krita, but it contains only "Chemical proof" and "Agfa : Swop Standard", so if you need some other CMYK profile, it seems you have to load it from an .icc or .icm file (if you have such a file).

Cheers,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta Geospatial Technologies
www.carmenta.com