[gdal-dev] Python Wheels for gdal

Christoph Paulik cpaulik at vandersat.com
Fri Jan 31 01:57:52 PST 2020

Thank you all for the input.

My initial motivation was that I would like `pip install gdal` to just
work.

I like and use conda-forge daily but in my opinion the whole Python
packaging system is broken.

There are packages you can install with conda but not with pip and the
other way around.
So you always need to mix and match which leads to another set of problems.

Especially if you have your own Python package that depends on gdal.
You need to put it on conda-forge or your own channel which can be a long
process and extra work for every release
so that the installation works reasonably well for your users.

I guess that it is unrealistic to fix any of that, so let's get back on
topic.

I'll probably try to see if I can get a working wheel using the work that
was already done as a basis.
If I have any news to share I'll let you know. But you might never hear
from me again on this topic.

Christoph

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 18:40, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 18:03, jratike80
> <jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would GDAL wheels serve some
> similar
> > purpose than what gdal in conda-forge is serving
> > https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/gdal/files?
>
> https://www.anaconda.com/understanding-conda-and-pip/
>
> Best regards,
> --

*Christoph Paulik* // Head of Infrastructure
VanderSat // Satellite observed water data. Globally. Daily.
Wilhelminastraat 43a, 2011 VK, Haarlem (NL), The Netherlands
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Wilhelminastraat+43a,+2011+VK,+Haarlem+(NL),+The+Netherlands&entry=gmail&source=g>
*M*  +31 6 18271928 *W*  www.vandersat.com