[gdal-dev] Problem replicating docker CI (GitHub Actions) locally

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Jul 26 09:56:16 PDT 2020

On dimanche 26 juillet 2020 17:51:05 CEST Björn Harrtell wrote:
> I'm trying to run the same docker build and test run as in
> workflow ubuntu_20.04 on GitHub Actions but locally.
>
> Running `docker build -f .github/workflows/ubuntu_20.04/Dockerfile.deps -t
> gdal-deps-ubuntu-20.04 .github/workflows/ubuntu_20.04` goes fine.
>
> Running `docker build -f .github/workflows/ubuntu_20.04/Dockerfile -t gdal
> .` fails with `/usr/bin/ld: frmts/o/biggifdataset.o: relocation
> R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `_ZTV16BIGGifRasterBand' can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC` on multiple tries.
>
> I'm at Ubuntu 20.04 and Docker 19.03.8 which is not identical to the CI
> machine but I guess that should not matter.
>
> Anyone know what might explain this?

Hi Björn,

I'm wondering if the issue might not be that you had already compiled objects in your host
machine, that have been transfered to the Docker build environment and are incompatible
with the compiler in it. Perhaps try adding a "make clean" in .github/workflows/
ubuntu_20.04/build.sh before the make ? (ideally we wouldn't copy in the Docker build
already built objects from the host)

Even