[gdal-dev] Using GDAL WMS with USGS 3DEPElevationIndex

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:26:59 PDT 2020

Hi,

I'm unable to figure out how to retrieve elevation data (grids) from the
3DEP program's endpoints.

Starting here:
https://index.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/3DEPElevationIndex/MapServer

it would seem to be possible but I just cannot get anything back other than
solid white images.   Most of the help from that page leads off to
ArcGIS-land which I don't have or want to use.  And Googling for 3DEP leads
only to more government sites that aren't helpful.

If you have some experience with this (or a related public elevation data
source), would you please send an example "gdal_translate" command line?

I'd really like to figure out how to download terrain (as perhaps a GeoTIFF
with floating point elevations) for an arbitrary CONUS lat/lon range.

Thanks in advance for any help!

carl