[gdal-dev] Python bindings for a GDAL dependent library

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Thu Jun 25 11:40:12 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I am writing a C++ library with a C API that links to GDAL dynamically
with LoadLibrary.
I would like to access the C API via Python and I have a few questions.

Currently the library compiled with MSVC and I was able to access some
functions from python via SWIG but I didn't try to pass GDAL types back and
forth.

1. How do I make my library open the same instance of GDAL dll that is used
by the GDAL Python bindings?
2. Are the SWIG bindings written manually for every new C function or is
there an semi/automated way to create it?
3. Is there an example for a library that creates gdal datasets in C/C++
and sends them to Python (or the other way around) to continue the process?
any best practices?

Kind regards,
Idan