[gdal-dev] vsis3 in TMS ServerUrl?

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Wed Mar 18 17:27:25 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I hope you and yours are well in these times.

I'm wondering how close we are to having support for vsis3 URLs in a TMS
ServerUrl and if it would be worth doing the work to add it.

The issue is that HTTPS requests for non-public S3 objects have to be (as I
understand it) signed per object. Thus there is no single set of
authentication headers we can use for all objects covered by a ServerUrl
template like this:

      <ServerUrl>
https://my-private-bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/tiles/${z}/${x}/${y}.png
?</ServerUrl>

GDAL's vsis3 handler takes care of the signing for single URLs and,
syntactically at least, it looks like it would be possible to support the
following

<ServerUrl>/vsis3/my-private-bucket/tiles/${z}/${x}/${y}.png?</ServerUrl>

with the vsis3 handler doing the signing for each individual HTTPS request
that is made.

Does this look useful to anyone else? Have any of you found a workaround
that is nearly as good?

--
Sean Gillies