[gdal-dev] "import gdal" broken in 3.2.0: what to do ?

Kai Mühlbauer kai.muehlbauer at uni-bonn.de
Thu Nov 5 06:59:17 PST 2020

Hi,

I'm using GDAL since 2012 and one of the first things I've read is this:

https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInPython

The first mention of the deprecation of this import was added 13 years
ago. To quote from there:

"
Additionally, there are five compatibility modules that are included but
provide notices to state that they are deprecated and will be going
away. If you are using GDAL 1.5 bindings, you should update your imports
to utilize the usage above, but the following will work until at least
GDAL 2.0.
"

Not sure, if it's worth the effort to reinstate that behaviour. People
would have to move on anyway, sooner or later. Just my 2c.

Huge thanks to Even and all the other people involved with GDAL and
OSGEO for providing such great tools!

Cheers,
Kai