[gdal-dev] WEBP in GEOTIFF

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Oct 10 04:14:40 PDT 2020

> Ubuntu has shipped for a long time libjpeg-turbo as the system libjpeg.so.8.
> It has the same ABI and behaviour as the corresponding IJG version, so it
> can be used as a complete replacement.
>
> If you want to check:
> objdump -T /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8 | grep LIBJPEGTURBO
>
> 0000000000000000 g    DO *ABS*	0000000000000000  LIBJPEGTURBO_8.0
> LIBJPEGTURBO_8.0

For the sake of completness, I should also mention that if you build GDAL
--with-jpeg=internal, it will *NOT* use a libjpeg-turbo copy. The internal copy of libjpeg in
GDAL is the venerable IJG 6.2b (with one or two security patches), that has no SIMD
acceleration. For those wondering, upgrading this internal copy to libjpeg-turbo would be
complicated due to libjpeg-turbo using a few assembly source files, which would
seriously complicate the GDAL build system.