[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr with ORACLE driver: limitation on table name size?

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at outlook.com
Tue Sep 15 07:06:43 PDT 2020

According to that code it should work:

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/70a2ec1795c3e01aeaf1ac3c0f7c69a3f0fa2ca5/gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/oci/ogrocisession.cpp#L316

Ticket:

https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6866
________________________________
From: gdal-dev <gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Victoria Ponz-Sarvise <vponz-sarvise at forsk.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 9:03 AM
To: gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [gdal-dev] ogr2ogr with ORACLE driver: limitation on table name size?

Hi,

I’m using ogr2ogr to upload shapefiles in an Oracle database, and I would like to know if there is a limitation of the number of characters in the created tables names.

In Oracle, until v12.2, the table names where limited to 30 bytes, and after that it is possible to create tables with names 128 bytes long.

The oracle database I’m using is 12.2, but ogr2ogr command truncates my table names to 30 chars.

I can not find in the documentation if there is a limitation in table names sizes in ogr. Can you please tell me if ogr2ogr is able to create table names longer than 30 bytes?

I am using GDAL 2.4.3

Thanks for your answer!

Regards

Victoria