[gdal-dev] What to archiv when using gdal_translate -co TILED=YES

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Thu Sep 24 11:17:07 PDT 2020

If you use "TILED=YES" without Overviews it may take a long time to open in
QGIS.
When QGIS shows you the global view without Overviews, it downsamples the
image to fit in the screen. However, when tiled, it is very likely that it
has to read every single tile from disk.

The best solution is to compute the overviews (in the same file or in a
.ovr sidecar)... or do not use the "TILED" option.

Cheers,
Javier
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.