[gdal-dev] how to completely remove gdal from Ubuntu 20.04 and install from scratch

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at osgeopt.pt
Tue Sep 29 15:10:13 PDT 2020

Hi,

I had the same problem. I've update my laptop to 20.04 and I need to
rebuild proj and gdal.

I've removed all old gdal packages and I've cleaned up /usr/local/lib,
to ensure that no previous gdal libraries are around.

But I missed an old libproj package! You have to make ensure that you
also clean up former libproj packages.

sudo apt purge libproj15

Gerald, please try:

ldd /usr/local/bin/ogrinfo

In my case, there were two libproj on the output

jgr at zoe:~/dev/cpp/gdal/gdal$ ldd /usr/local/bin/ogrinfo
	(...)
	libproj.so.19 => /usr/local/lib/libproj.so.19 (0x00007fa94f129000)
	(...)
	libproj.so.15 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproj.so.15
(0x00007fa94df36000)

Good luck,

Jorge Gustavo