[gdal-dev] Gdal.Open on S3 using IAM roles

Jeannie May jeannie_may at trimble.com
Mon Apr 12 19:44:46 PDT 2021

I'm new to using Gdal. How do I configure gdal to use an IAM role, rather
than defining an aws-Profile?

I get a timeout doing a gdal.Open() on a tiff file on S3 using vsis3, while
trying to use an IAM role.

I'm using MaxRev.Gdal.Core 3.2.0.250. Netcore 3.1 c#, running in a Linux
container.

Note that defining an AWS_Profile etc works ok, but I need to use IAM
roles. Prior to trying to open the file with gdal, I successfully upload
using s3Client (which uses the IAM role), so it's something specific to the
Gdal.Open().

using GetConfigOption() I can see that none of the following are set
AWS_PROFILE; AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID; AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY; AWS_SESSION_TOKEN;
AWS_NO_SIGN_REQUEST; AWS_DEFAULT_PROFILE

--
*Jeannie May*
Senior Software Engineer

Connect with us!