[gdal-dev] Gdal.Open on S3 using IAM roles

Jeannie May jeannie_may at trimble.com
Wed Apr 14 14:20:45 PDT 2021

This is the gdal setup. None of the AWS keys are set excep region (could
that be an issue). Where would I expect to see the logging - none is
showing up in our logs. Do we need to configure the output to our log?

    public GdalClient(IConfigurationStore configStore, ILoggerFactory
loggerFactory)
    {
      _log = loggerFactory.CreateLogger<GdalClient>();
      GdalBase.ConfigureAll();
      Gdal.AllRegister();

      //For debugging s3 access problems
      Gdal.SetConfigOption("CPL_CURL_VERBOSE", "YES");
      Gdal.SetConfigOption("CPL_DEBUG", "YES");
      Gdal.SetConfigOption("AWS_REGION", "us-west-2");

      _log.LogDebug($"#{nameof(GdalClient)} AWS_PROFILE: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_PROFILE", "NotFound")} " +
                    $"AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID", "NotFound")} " +
                    $"AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY", "NotFound")} " +
                    $"AWS_SESSION_TOKEN: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_SESSION_TOKEN", "NotFound")} " +
                    $"AWS_NO_SIGN_REQUEST: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_NO_SIGN_REQUEST", "NotFound")} " +
                    $"AWS_DEFAULT_PROFILE: {
Gdal.GetConfigOption("AWS_DEFAULT_PROFILE", "NotFound")} ");
      _awsBucketName =
configStore.GetValueString("AWS_DESIGNIMPORT_BUCKET_NAME");
    }

and this is the open which times out:
 public string GetMetadata(string fileName, bool s3=true)
    {
      var path = s3 ? $"/vsis3/{_awsBucketName}/{fileName}" : fileName;
      var dataset = Gdal.Open(path, Access.GA_ReadOnly);