[gdal-dev] HANA driver proposal

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 13 10:31:02 PDT 2021

Maxim,

https://github.com/SAP/odbc-cpp-wrapper
<https://github.com/SAP/odbc-cpp-wrapper>as the corresponding ODBC driver ?”

> The odbc-cpp-wrapper library is going to be used only during the
> compilation phase and linked statically, thus end users will get only
> one dynamic/shared library of the HANA driver.  Hence, no additional
> actions are required from end users. For those who want to compile the
> GDAL sources with HANA support on their own, the sources of the
> odbc-cpp-wrapper are needed. However, this step can be omitted if we
> store a copy of the library in
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/third_party
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/third_party>like we
> did in QGIS (see
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/external/odbccpp
> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/external/odbccpp>).

I can anticipate potential issues if both GDAL and QGIS have a odbcpp
vendorized copy, and that for some reason they differ in versions. That
could cause symbol clashes at runtime. Putting the vendorized copy in a
dedicated namespace prefix (GDAL::) could avoid that.

Otherwise, isn't the cpl_odbc.h abstraction good enough ?

Side note: are you aware of https://github.com/nanodbc/nanodbc that is
also a C++ wrapper for ODBC ? (Mateusz one of our PSC members was the
main developer of it, although I believe he has retired from it)

> Note, that any HANA plugin (GDAL/QGIS) also requires the SAP HANA
> Client (https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#hanatools) to be able to
> connect an SAP HANA database.

Is that the ODBC driver for SAP HANA ?
> ​Unfortunately, we are not able to answer the remaining raised
> pointsas they are beyond our expertise.
>
> Perhaps they should be addressed in a separate dedicated discussion.

Well, if you contribute to GDAL, then that should be in your area of
interest and concern :-)

I think the main practical issue for this to go forward is for you to
find someone who would want to review your contribution.

Another option is to propose the OGR SAP HANA driver as a plugin for
download from your website.

Even