[gdal-dev] ECEF CRS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Aug 28 10:00:45 PDT 2021

Le 28/08/2021 à 18:08, aharon david a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> ECEF is a pure matemtiacl Coordinate System
> In that way it is not reflect an area on the real world.
> Suppose that I got from some where, a layer with an ECEF CRS, is there
> a way to know what was the original CRS (that reflected on earth) of
> this layer?

No. But if the ECEF CRS is in the same datum as the original CRS, then
it is just a different representation that you can convert almost
losslessly to a geographic or projected CRS based on the same datum.

With the projinfo utility shipped with PROJ >= 8.1.0, you can query the
list of known CRSs whose area of use matches some bounding box. For example:

projinfo --list-crs --bbox 2,49,3,50 --spatial-test intersects
--authority EPSG

> Is there a way to create ECEF layer and keep the original CRS in the
> ECEF WKT?
See answer in other thread